A concrete balcony deck is a great addition to any home, providing a space to enjoy the outdoors and entertain guests. However, over time, exposure to the elements can take a toll on your balcony deck, causing it to look dull and worn out. Fortunately, with the right care and maintenance, you can keep your concrete balcony deck looking great for years to come. In this article, we’ll discuss the four best tips on maintaining a concrete balcony deck that will help you keep your outdoor space in top condition.
1. Clean Regularly
The first and most important tip for maintaining a concrete balcony deck is to clean it regularly. Dirt, grime, and other debris can build up on the surface of your deck over time, causing it to look dirty and dull. To keep your deck looking great, it’s important to clean it at least once every few months, or more often if it gets a lot of use. Place pads underneath outside furniture to eliminate potential scratching or tearing. Elevate potted plants and/or planters and move routinely (every two or three weeks) to avoid possible damage from casual water.
How to clean your concrete balcony deck
- Start by sweeping the surface of your deck to remove any loose debris.
- Next, use a garden hose to rinse off the surface of your deck.
- If there are any stubborn stains or spots, use a stiff-bristled brush and warm water and liquid TSP to scrub the surface of your deck to free the surface from dirt, oil, grease and any foreign substance. It is not recommended to use carpet over the top of existing waterproofing systems as to not trap water or other potentially damaging debris that may compromise the system.
- Rinse off the surface of your deck again with a garden hose and let it dry completely before using it.
2. Seal the Surface
Another important tip for maintaining a concrete balcony deck is to seal the surface regularly. Sealing your deck with Life Specialty Coatings top coat sealers will help to protect it from the elements, preventing water damage and other types of wear and tear. In addition, sealing your deck will help to keep it looking great, by preventing stains and other types of damage from marring the surface.
How to seal your concrete balcony deck
- After the surface is cleaned and allowed to dry you may apply the topcoat. It is imperative that the surface is cleaned properly to allow the new coating to bond. This is also the time to do any touch up or repair to the base material if needed. The maintenance coat is applied in the same manner as the topcoat in the original system with the exception that you will most likely get more coverage from the material. A primer may be necessary before application of an additional deferred maintenance topcoat if adhesion is in question. Please consult an authorized Life Specialty Coatings representative if there are questions regarding application of deferred maintenance coatings.
- Please read the label as it pertains to the application of the specific product. You can expect the gloss on most coatings to last about 1-3 years depending on the exposure to the sun, traffic and the system you use. We recommend that the surface be recoated every 1-5 years depending on the exposure to the sun. All jobs should be re-coated periodically as a general maintenance procedure to further insure against damage to the system and to keep your warranty in effect. Please read your product specification/installation guide for information regarding your warranty.
3. Repair Cracks and Chips
Over time, small cracks and chips can develop on the surface of your concrete balcony deck. While these may seem like minor issues, they can actually lead to more serious damage if left untreated. To prevent this from happening, it’s important to repair any cracks or chips as soon as you notice them.
How to repair cracks and chips on your concrete balcony deck
- Start by cleaning the area around the crack or chip thoroughly.
- Next, use a concrete patching compound such as our LD-7200 Crack Patch Gel or LD-10 Sloping & Patching Cement to fill in the crack or chip, following the label’s instructions.
- Smooth out the surface of the patching compound with a trowel or putty knife.
- Allow the compound to dry completely before using your deck.
4. Protect Against UV Rays
The sun’s UV rays can be extremely damaging to concrete surfaces, causing them to fade and deteriorate over time. To protect your concrete balcony deck from UV damage, it’s important to use a UV-resistant sealer or coating such as the 28 Series Heat Reflective Top Coat + Sealer
How to protect your concrete balcony deck from UV rays
- Choose a UV-resistant sealer or coating specifically designed for use on concrete surfaces.
- Apply the sealer or coating to your deck, following the label’s instructions.
- Allow the sealer or coating to dry completely before using your deck
With these steps you are making sure you are keep your deck well maintained for and keeping it look great and sound for years to come! Feel free to contact one of our expert sales representatives on more tips on maintaining your concrete balcony deck and don’t forget to download our Life Coatings app on Android and Apple stores!