How to prepare Stretch-Guard Elastomeric Roofing System?
Surface Preparation: Proper roof preparation is essential for successful coating application.
1. The roof surface must be clean and free of all loose and oxidized material, dirt, oil and other contaminants.
2. Thoroughly and carefully use a power blower or a stiff bristle broom and/or power wash the roof surface. (Do not power wash if the roof has any water leaks.)
3. Seam tape all cracks, seams, fl ashings, skylights, vents, etc. For older roofs and/or roofs with cracking, alligatoring, failing systems and minor leaks use polyester roofing fabric to reinforce the roof system. (See Application Specification).
4. Each application should be done in one complete step to form one seamless layer over the total area being covered. Apply wit roller, squeegee, brush or airless spray equipment. If applied by spray, 8875 Underseal must be back rolled. Do not thin.
How to install Stretch-Guard Elastomeric Roofing System?
1. Poly-Fabric (Seam Tape) Application (8875) Joints, Seams, Etc.
Seam tape over ALL joints, cracks, seams, around vents, over flashings, caps, pipes and skylights, etc. Cracks over 1/16 inch wide should be cleaned and caulked before reinforcing.
- a. Brush a coat of 8875 Underseal over the joint or seam.
- b. Roll polyester seam tape into the wet Stretch-Guard 8875 Underseal. While still wet, apply another coat of 8875. Underseal over seam tape completely embedding tape in the coating. Allow to dry.
- c. Apply 1 or 2 full coats of 8875 Underseal over all seam tape applications. Allow to dry. Apply 8875 coating the surface at a rate of 1 to 2 gallons per 50 sq. ft to cover and fi ll in rough surfaces and pinholes.
2. Poly-Fabric (Full Coverage) Application
Apply a liberal coat of 8875 Underseal. While still wet, embed the polyester fabric into the 8875 Underseal. Apply a second coat of 8875 Underseal to saturate the fabric (2 gallons per 100 sq. ft. is required). It is recommended that another coat of 8875 Underseal be applied over dried fabric system to smooth the rough surfaces.
3. Top Coat Application
Apply 2 coats of Stretch-Guard/Cool Life 8840 Elastomeric Coating as a finish coat at the rate of 1 gallon per 100 sq. ft. Apply a third coat if desired. Fill all cracks and crevices. Mildew: DO NOT APPLY OVER MILDEW. A solution of 50% household bleach and 50% water will kill the mildew.
For Concrete/Plywood Walking Decks:
Use the appropriate Life Deck Waterproof Deck System for best performance.
Heavy Duty Waterproofing System:
1. Poly-Fabric Seam Tape application. (see instructions)
2. Apply primer Coat of 8875 Underseal at 1 gallon per 50 sq. ft.
3. Apply 8875 Underseal embedded in the polyester fabric with 1-2 additional coats of 8875 Underseal.
4. Apply 2 coats of Cool Life 8840 at a rate of 1 gallon per 100 sq. ft.
If products are sprayed, it is recommended that the first coat be back-rolled. Always cross hatch 2nd coat.
Metal Roofs: (See Application Specifications)
1. Prepare the metal roof by removing all loose material. Clean and etch.
2. Spot prime all rusted surfaces with a rust converter.
3. Seam tape all seams.
4. Apply 1 coat of 3300 or 3900 primer fi rst at 50 sq. ft. per gallon.
5. Apply 2 coats of Stretch-Guard 8840 Cool Life at 1 gallon per 100 sq. ft.
Urethane Foam Roofs (See Application Specification)
1. Remove all old delamination coating and blow clean.
2. Do not open the roof system.
3. Seam tape and patch all blisters and sump areas with 8875 Underseal until surface is smooth.
4. Coat with 2-3 coats of 8875 Underseal until smooth.
5. In areas of standing water apply 2 coats of embedded fabric with 8875 Underseal with 2 more coats of 8875.
6. Apply 2 to 3 coats of Stretch-Guard Cool Life 8840 at a rate of 1 gallon per 100 sq. ft.
Thinning: Thinning is not recommended
Drying Time: Initial cure 8 hours. Allow 12 hours before applying additional coats. Cool and/or humid weather conditions will slow the drying time.
Clean-up: Warm, soapy water is recommended.