HOW TO PREPARE SURFACE FOR LIFE SPECIALTY COATINGS Roof Silicone System?
- Roof must be first inspected by a Life Specialty Coatings technical representative.
- Substrate must be clean, dry and free of grease, paint, oil, dust, curing agents and/or other contaminants.
- DO NOT APPLY OVER MILDEW. A solution of 50% household bleach and 50% water will kill the mildew.
- Thoroughly and carefully use a power blower or a stiff bristle broom and/or power wash the roof surface. (Do not power wash if the roof has any water leaks.)
- Each application should be done in one complete step to form one seamless layer over the total area being covered. Apply with roller, squeegee, brush or airless spray equipment. If applied by spray, products must be back rolled. Do not thin.
Seams, Cracks, Appurtenances, Flashing (For cracks, leaks, openings, or gaps 3/16” or larger)
- Apply 9277 caulking around roof appurtenances (A/C, pipes, vents, skylights, etc.)
- Apply 9277 caulking to fill in 3/16 inch or larger cracks, leaks, opening, and/or gaps.)
- If necessary, use roofing nails to reattach any flashing. Apply Rainbuster 500 to areas of flashing that are unattached from the roof to seal the areas between roof substrate and flashing.
Crickets, Sloping, Ponding Areas
Sloping should always be done to move water to drains. Use SGLL-30 Level Lite roof cement to fill ponding areas and create crickets (slopage) to divert water to drains.
HOW TO INSTALL LIFE SPECIALTY COATINGS Roof Silicone System?
- If applied by spray, 88-60 must be back rolled. Do not thin.
- MIXING: Review all technical data sheets, system sheets, labels, instructions, SDS, and Guide Specifications before mixing and applying. Mix 4 Parts A with 1 Part B thoroughly to ensure a homogeneous material. The combined components should be thoroughly mixed using a mechanical mixer at slow speed. Mix only the amount that you can use after mixing within 30 minutes.
- Coverage rate will depend on surface roughness and porosity. Do not allow the material to puddle. Coating may be applied by brush, phenolic resin core roller, or airless spray equipment. Do not apply when temperatures are below 50°F (4.4°C) or when precipitation is in forecast within 48 hours. Higher temperatures and/or high humidity will significantly accelerate the cure time and pot life. Use caution in batch sizes and thickness of application. Allow product to dry tack free before applying the top coat.
- Clean Up: Equipment should be cleaned with water immediately after use. Dried material will require an environmentally safe solvent to remove.
- If applied by spray, 88-50 must be back rolled. Do not thin.
- Coating may be applied by brush, roller, or airless spray equipment at 1-1/2 (one and one half) gallons per 100 sq ft. Do not apply when temperatures are below 40°F (4.4°C) or when precipitation is in forecast within 48 hours. In areas where the roof is subject to foot traffic, it is recommended to apply walkway pads for added protection and slip resistance.
- Apply a second coat of 88-50 after 12 hours. Do not wait more than 6 days before recoating 88-50.
Note : Please refer to individual product technical sheets for more detailed product information on all products within this specification.
Uncured material can be removed with an environmentally safe solvent. Cured material can be removed by scraping or a safe, environmentally safe chemical cleaner. (Check the local laws and limits for chemical cleaner regulations.)
MAINTENANCE + HEALTH ADVISORIES FOR LIFE SPECIALTY COATINGS Roof Silicone System:
This roof protection application should be monitored every 3-6 months for insequental damage. All damages should be remediated immediately. For questions on remediation, call the Life Specialty Coatings office at (562) 944-6391 for help.
Health, Protection and Safety
Refer to individual product container labels, individual product technical data sheets, and SDS for health, protection, and safety precautions.